Thursday 21 April 2011

A little bit of history

St Mary's of Acton Round - where we shall be married! Squeal!

I never imagined I'd get married in a church. But then, I never imagined I'd get married. But I'm so glad we are having a religious ceremony because I absolutely love our little church in Shropshire. It's very old and has bags of character (not forgetting a wonky organ.) And even better, it's perched at the top of a hill in Acton Round, which means the views from the churchyard are stunning. Just acres and acres of gorgeous rolling countryside.

So I was very excited to find this watercolour while rummaging around the t'internet. It was painted by Reverend Williams on 31st August 1789. Interestingly, a bit of blurb beneath the painting said that the church consists of a predominantly Norman nave, 14th century chancel and a timber framed belfry containing two ancient bells. And it was altered and amended around 1750, when it was the family chapel for the Actons, and the north side and south doorway were added at this time. (oh I am such a geek aren't I??)

And then I discovered that Acton Round is known as Achetune (which means Oak Town) in the Domesday Book and kept this name until at least 1251. By 1283 it was being referred to as Acton la Ronde.

How fascinating. Well I thought so - but as I say, I'm just channelling my inner history geek. Perhaps I need to get out more.

Anyway, here's our little church as it looks today:


...and here's inside, see how weeny it is! And look, there's the dodgy organ!

Ahhh I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment