Friday 11 February 2011

Cupcake catastrophe


My cupcakes - note how the icing is precariously balanced on a bizarre peak...that's not right is it??


So yesterday, an account handler here at work asked me if I wouldn't mind baking a few cup cakes for a client, to celebrate our first year's anniversary of working with them.

And they asked me because I once put a picture of my cupcakes on facebook, and the angle of the shot and the moody lighting made them look almost semi-professional, and then another colleague here saw that picture and recommended my services to the aformentioned account handler. Bloody social networking sites.

So this was my first ever real 'commission.' And it was a bit scary. I mean it's all very well baking for friends and family. A wonky bit of icing or a cupcake that's more 'mug' than 'cup' can be excused or overlooked amongst loved ones.

But when you're serving cakes in a slightly professional capacity, well the pressure is on isn't it? Which is why I panicked further because I'd already decided (without thinking it through) to make fairy cakes for our wedding. Mainly cos we didn't want a 'wedding' wedding cake (hubby-to-be still wants a three tiered pork pie actually) and also to help keep costs down.

So again, without thinking it through, I readily agreed to make these cakes for the client. Then remembered that my cakes are often a bit odd looking. Like I have catapulted the mixture into the baking trays, as my fiance so delightfully describes it.

So I decided to look open this as practice for the wedding cakes and if it goes wrong I'll make a mad dash to M&S in the morning and buy some real ones.

And after an hour or three of baking and icing last night, I realise a little more practice is definitely in order. My attempts were barely fit for Toby let alone a client. (Though he did enjoy his free sample.)

I need to practice getting the shape right for a start. For some reason which I just cannot fathom out, they never come out with a nice flat top. They always have some sort of giant nipple proudly protruding skywards. Or sometimes the teat will lean slightly, or even just flop over the edge of the cupcake case. All of which makes it completely impractical when it comes to icing the damn things. I could slice the protrusions off I suppose, make them nice and even rather than looking like a cheap boob-job. But really, is that what Jane sodding Asher does with her fairy cakes?? Does she have to decapitate her creations before she can decorate them? I doubt it.

I better get my pinny on and get cracking eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment