Friday 25 February 2011

Wedding cake practice

It's my hubby-to-be's birthday this weekend, and as is tradition I've baked him some cupcakes. But, I thought I'd use the baking session as a chance to refine my skills for the wedding cakes.

And I think I did ok! I managed to suss out how to get them flat rather than looking like mini volcanoes, which was a good start. (turned out my oven was hotter than the sun on the setting recommended by the recipe, I just needed a little less ferocity on my delicate little cupcakes.)

look! no strange peaks, over-hangs or nipples!


Having finally mastered the art of flatness, I set about decorating, which was the fun bit. Two packs of icing sugar and several green stained fingers later (food colouring!) this was the result!


There are a few wonky bits but hopefully on the day no-one will look too closely. And if they do, they'll be too drunk to see where I've slipped with the piping bag. (which incidentally is very therapeutic to use...it's just so squidgy!)

I hope my fiance doesn't mind his birthday cakes being a bit girlie - hopefully he'll understand that the bows and delicate pinks are all in the name of vital weddding research.

Happy Birthday Paul x

No comments:

Post a Comment